A child custody, support and/or visitation is usually filed as a “CI” case unless paternity is an issue. If paternity is an issue, then it is usually filed as a “J” case.

There is a filing fee and an additional fee for service of process depending upon the service method you choose.

When filing for custody, support or visitation you may find it helpful to review the Family Court Rules of Procedure and Practice.

Filing Fees (unless accompanied by a Motion for Leave to Proceed In Forma Pauperis):

           $198.00 + service fee(s).

For a full fee schedule click here.

  • To schedule a court date please contact the Judge’s office.
    • Judge Gentry’s Office              5th Division      (859) 292-6364
    • Judge Mehling’s Office           2nd Division     (859) 292-6533

A fee of $50 shall be paid by any party re-opening a domestic case. Re-opening means any motion for modification of an order filed more than six months after the entry of an order. A domestic case could include paternity, child custody, support & visitation or divorce. Failure to pay a re-opening fee may result in your case not being heard.  This fee is not required for motions in the 42 U.S.C. Title IV-D cases for child support enforcement.

You may find this link helpful:
Cabinet for Health and Family Services – Child Support Enforcement 

***Reminder – Our office is prohibited from providing legal advice. You may contact the Northern Kentucky Bar Association (Lawyer Referral Service) @ (859781-1525 or Legal Aid of the Bluegrass (Civil Legal Assistance) @ (859) 431-8200, or contact a private attorney for further information.